George Laiolo scraps for his clients at all stages of litigation—from investigation through trial and appeal. He has represented diverse clients across multiple sectors stretching from intellectual property and complex business litigation to personal injury, achieving successful settlements and verdicts. He has a particular interest in litigation surrounding video games.
Mr. Laiolo earned both his Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor from the University of California, Berkeley, from which he graduated magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa. In law school, Mr. Laiolo served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Fernando M. Olguin of the United States District Court for the Central District of California. He authored an amicus brief for a design patent appeal before the Federal Circuit as part of the Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic, earned the Prosser Prize in Video Game Law, and was a top-ranked competitor for the Trial Team.
- In copyright and trademark actions across the United States, obtained beneficial settlements, conducted depositions and cross-examination in a federal trial, authored appellate briefs, and successfully convinced the court to deny a defendant’s request for millions of dollars in attorneys’ fees on behalf of videogame institution Atari.
- Currently litigating against one of the largest video game corporations in the world on behalf of independent publishers who allege the corporation clandestinely acquired the developer responsible for creating a video game mere weeks before the game’s launch.
- In a personal injury action, defeated summary judgment by deposing corporate representatives of a hotel conglomerate and prevailing at oral argument.
- Represents an international manufacturer in federal district court and appellate litigation surrounding alleged trademark and trade dress infringement of dental technology.
- On behalf of classes of American consumers, pursued false advertising, Consumer Legal Remedies Act, and unfair competition claims against international corporations.
- Drafted an expert report providing an overview of civil RICO claims and applying RICO law to alleged violations of export control laws related to the launch of a satellite.
- Video Game Law
- Trademarks and Trade Dress
- Business Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury
Professional and Community Involvement
- Avid tennis player, video gamer, and weight lifter
- In the early stages of learning Korean
- Volunteer coach and judge, undergraduate and law school mock trial
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A.