John Scholnick is a nationally recognized trial and appellate lawyer who has delivered outstanding results to clients. He has been principal counsel on more that 200 cases in the United States and abroad.
Clients select John for their complex commercial, high-tech and product liability disputes because he knows what it takes to win. In addition to his litigation practice, John has also served as an advisor to Global Fortune 100 companies on a range of matters, including liability risk avoidance in acquisitions, global policies on the purchase and use of nanomaterials, and commercial and liability risks of new automotive technology.
His dedication to his clients is just one of the reasons that some clients have hired him for more than two decades and why he earned the BTI Client Service All-Star Team award. He has also been selected as an Illinois Leading Lawyer and to the Illinois Super Lawyers list, and since 2003, he has achieved a Peer Reviewed AV® Preeminent™ from Martindale-Hubbell.
John has successfully represented clients in these matters:
- Represented nuns in action against the Archidiocese of Los Angeles over right to sell nuns’ 8-acre property in Los Feliz area
- Successfully resolved Fortune Global 100 chemical company’s claims for damage to its seed and herbicide business caused by defendant’s GMO contamination, after court dismissed defendant’s $850 million counterclaim
- Represented multiple business units of Fortune Global 100 chemical company nationally in wide variety of commercial, product liability, and intellectual property disputes
- Represented Fortune Global 100 electronics company nationally in litigation concerning airport infrastructure, sensor technology, semiconductors, material and mail handling systems, medical diagnostic equipment, and automotive safety systems
- Represented European-headquartered chemical company in connection with FDA recall of food grade chemical (completed in 18 months) and resolved all customer disputes without litigation
- Represented FTD floral delivery network in actions over use of its trademarks in the U.S. and Europe and non-payment for clearinghouse services by other floral delivery services
- Represented major U.S.-based international chemical company in commercial, environmental, and toxic tort litigation
- Represented NFL team in disputes with stadium lessor and municipality over cost of league-mandated security, addition of retail locations in stadium, and potential interference to be caused by development of major museum on leased premises
- Represented NHL team in disputes including player salary arbitration, interteam disputes, litigation over stadium advertising rights, and recovery of damages committed by telephone hackers
- Defended principal director and officer in shareholder class action for failure to disclose financial condition of film company
- Defended company that owned radio stations and its directors in action by shareholders claiming option to purchase additional shares
- Represented a producer and an Academy Award songwriter in separate actions against American Film Technologies concerning rights to produce projects
- Northwestern University, J.D.
- Haverford College, B.A.