Maribeth Annaguey’s practice involves class action defense, real estate disputes, Talent Agencies Act disputes, and matters involving breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud, securities violations, and defamation. Her clients include real estate companies, entertainment artists, and high-net-worth individuals.
Ms. Annaguey has experience in all aspects of litigation in federal and state courts, including discovery, law and motion, trial, and post-trial law and motion. She has also represented clients before the California Labor Commissioner’s Office, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and in arbitrations before arbitral tribunals in California and Texas, including JAMS, ADR Services, the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and the Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA).
Ms. Annaguey is a member of the firm’s Management committee and chairs the firm’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee.
Media & Entertainment
- Prosecuted actions for breach of nondisclosure agreements and defamation on behalf of client Rob Lowe. In Lowe v. Gibson and Lowe v. Boyce, defeated anti-SLAPP motions where defendants attempted to invalidate nondisclosure agreements on First Amendment grounds.
- Represented a financier and producer in a partnership dispute which resulted in an arbitration award granting all intellectual property rights at issue to the client.
- Defended video game publisher, development studio, and the studio head against claims of misappropriation of a trade secret, breach of a developer agreement, and breach of a non-disclosure agreement.
- Represented a high-profile actress in an action involving an alleged breach of a partnership agreement.
- Represented a high-profile actress in a commissions dispute.
- Successfully represented high-profile individuals in obtaining retractions from online and print entertainment news media.
- Defended a broadcasting station sued for breach of a license agreement.
- Obtained several dismissals on the pleadings for a global real estate services company sued in class-action lawsuits claiming, collectively, more than $85 million in damages.
- Represented individuals in a corporate ownership dispute in a bench trial that resulted in the clients securing complete control of the company that held significant intellectual property assets.
- Represented minority shareholders in a derivative lawsuit resulting in multi-million dollar judgment for the clients.
- Defended the City of Los Angeles in multiple class-action lawsuits.
- Class Action Defense
- Entertainment Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Speaker and Program Chair of Southern California Business Litigation Inn of Court (Program: “Lies I tell you! How Do I Deal with Anonymous Negative Internet Posts About Me?”)
- Guest lecturer on defamation at the University of California at Berkeley, School of Law (Boalt Hall)
- Guest speaker on legal careers in the entertainment industry at the University of California at Berkeley, Center for Law and Technology
- Guest speaker on entertainment law at the USC Gould School of Law including its “Topics In Entertainment Law, Motion Pictures” Seminar
- January 24, 2022: Leaders of Influence: Minority Attorneys
Los Angeles Business Journal
- May 19, 2021: Top Women Lawyers 2021
- October 22, 2020: O’Brien, Annaguey & Ellis Signal Expansion of Browne George Ross
- June 5, 2017: Liner Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Super Lawyers Magazine
- September 1, 2016: Super Lawyer Standouts at Liner LLP
- May 5, 2014: Maribeth Annaguey among the Nominees for the Los Angeles Business Journal‘s “Women Making a Difference” Award
Los Angeles Business Journal
- September 26, 2013: Comerica Bank’s “Best of LA” Women’s Business Awards Program
- April 9, 2012: 50 Lawyers on the Fast Track
- Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers list (2019-2022)
- Selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (2007-2008, 2010-2018)
- Named in the Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars Up-and-Coming 100 and Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars Up-and-Coming 50 Women lists (2015, 2017)
- Received the “Woman of Mentorship” recognition from COMERICA BANK as part of their Best of LA Women’s Business Awards (2013)
- Honored Among “50 Fast Track Lawyers” by The Recorder (2012)
- Member, Board of Directors, Hispanas Organized for Political Equality (HOPE)
- Former Board Member, The Scholar Bridge Board
- Founding Board Member, Past Secretary, Extera Public Schools (a non-profit organization that operates charter schools in Boyle Heights and East Los Angeles)
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, Asian Pacific Women’s Center
- University of Southern California, J.D.
Editor-in-Chief (2002-2003), Southern California Law Review
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California