Nick Begakis is Senior Counsel with Ellis George Cipollone O’Brien LLP’s Los Angeles office. His practice focuses on complex civil litigation. Nick has experience handling matters nationwide in the areas of products liability, catastrophic injury, defamation, class action defense and commercial and real estate litigation. Recently, Nick was recognized in the Daily Journal’s Top Verdicts of 2022 issue for his representation of PG&E in a $1.2 billion defamation case brought against the company. Nick and the EGC Team were recognized for achieving a complete defense verdict following a three month jury trial.
Prior to joining the firm Nick spent a decade in the complex litigation practice of a global law firm and was a partner in a national certified minority-owned firm. Before he began practicing, Mr. Begakis served as an extern to the Hon. Marvin Baxter of the California Supreme Court.
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company v. Jeff Alexander: Mr. Begakis managed the litigation of this matter from inception and was also a key member of the trial team in the three-month trial in Kern County which resulted in a complete defense verdict on claims against PG&E. This case was initiated by PG&E, when Mr. Begakis led the team that sought and obtained an injunction against an excavator who PG&E claimed caused two “dig-ins” to its natural gas pipeline. The excavator in that case filed a cross-complaint alleging negligence on the part of PG&E and defamation. The cross-complainant was represented at trial by two prominent plaintiffs’ firms, who sought $1.2 billion in compensatory and punitive damages. At the close of the case, the jury returned a complete defense verdict for PG&E on all of the claims.
- Led a trial team in the pro bono representation of an inmate who suffered a catastrophic injury while incarcerated. Negotiated a favorable resolution during jury deliberations.
- Key member of a federal trial team to a front-page defense victory for a sheriff’s deputy accused of obstruction of justice, where the jury was unable to reach a verdict on the counts charged.
- Led a team representing a utility in a catastrophic injury matter where plaintiff alleged that the failure to maintain a transformer resulted in significant injury. Matter settled on favorable terms following the filing of a motion for summary judgment.
- Led a team representing a snack food manufacturer in a nationwide consumer class action. Prevailed on a bifurcated bench trial, defeated class certification, and negotiated a dismissal of all claims without any payment to plaintiff.
- Represented a hospital in connection with an investigation by the Department of Justice and Office of the Inspector General into potential violations of the False Claims Act and federal Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Daily Journal Top Defense Verdicts, 2022
- Southern California Super Lawyer “Rising Stars” list, 2015-2020
- ACLU Humanitarian Award, 2010
- Class Actions
- Complex Litigation and Arbitration
- Investigations and White Collar Defense
- UC Hastings, College of the Law, J.D.
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A.